©Bailing Out Benji 2019
All research and information was done by the volunteer team at Bailing Out Benji and therefore must be cited as such when shared or quoted.
“We don’t buy from puppy mills.”
“All of our puppies come from small, local breeders.”
“We visit every breeder we buy from.”
We have all heard these sentences come from the mouths of pet store owners and their employees. They paint this beautiful picture of puppies running by a pond and parents frolicking in the fresh, green grass… Sadly, 99% of the time that is a bold faced lie. The pet store owners know it, the employees might know it- but the customer is completely in the dark.
This is why we are here.
Bailing Out Benji is a small nonprofit that started in Ames, Iowa and now has volunteer teams all over the country. We are all committed to raising awareness about the puppy mill issue, particularly the connection to pet stores.
So what is the truth? What is the public supposed to believe when the nice store owner and employees paint such a believable and beautiful picture? Again… This is why we are here.
Volunteers from Bailing Out Benji devote their free time to researching puppy mills to createpuppy mill mapsfor the worst states, as well as raise awareness about notorious pet stores and breeding operations with huge violations. This includes obtaining CVI data (Certificates of Veterinary Inspections) and making those reports public.
Before an animal is transported out of state, a veterinarian, accredited by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), must examine the animal for signs of “infectious, contagious or communicable disease” and, if no disease is found, sign the certificate for approval to transport.
Many breeders also sell to dealers, such as Choice Puppies (formerly known as Hunte Corporation) in Missouri, J.A.K.’s Puppies, Inc. in Iowa or Nebraskaland Pets, Inc. in Nebraska, who, in turn, re-sell the animals to pet stores throughout the United States. You will see that some of the breeders below are also dealers and buy puppies from other breeders and re-sell to pet stores.
To make this easier, we will be breaking our article down by each pet store and connecting them to the various puppy mills they use. For any questions regarding the information presented below, please visit us on facebook.
Fairwood Pet Center- 14201 SE Petrovitsky Rd, Renton, WA 98058
- Karen Highland, Rocky Ridge Kennels. Milan, Missouri- 71 adult breeding dogs.
- Sherrye Swenson. Backus, Minnesota- 31 adult breeding dogs, 77 puppies.
- Ida Lewis, Ida’s Toy Box. Graham, Washington- 154 adult breeding dogs.
Farmland Pets and Feed – 9000 Silverdale Way NW, Silverdale, WA 98383
- Sharon Monk, BJ’s & Guys. Menlo, Kansas- 755 adult breeding dogs, 425 PUPPIES!! Not only are they a very large scale puppy mill, but they have a history of violations including too many dogs in cages, and structurally unsound cages. They were also named one of the worst puppy mills in the entire country .
Puppyland Puyallup- 13103 Meridian E Suite #104, Puyallup, WA 98373
- Jolyn Noethe, JAKS Puppies, Britt Iowa – 233 puppies . JAKS has also started their own “rescue” in order to lie to the public about not being a puppy mill. You can read that information here. JAKS was also named one of the worst puppy mills in the country. To see where JAKS Puppies buys their dogs from, click here.
For more ways you can help the dogs trapped in puppy mills ,click here.
©Bailing Out Benji 2018
** To those consumers that have bought a family member from any of the area puppy stores, and are wondering about their actual background -please feel free to fill out the form below with any questions or paperwork that you have and we will confidentially research the breeder your pup came from.