©Bailing Out Benji 2019
All research and information was done by the volunteer team at Bailing Out Benji and must be cited as such when shared or quoted!
“We don’t buy from puppy mills.”
“All of our puppies come from small, local breeders.”
“We visit every breeder we buy from.”
We have all heard these sentences come from the mouths of pet store owners and their employees. They paint this beautiful picture of puppies running by a pond and parents frolicking in the fresh, green grass… Sadly, 99% of the time that is a bold faced lie. The pet store owners know it, the employees might know it- but the customer is completely in the dark.
This is why we are here.
Bailing Out Benji is a small nonprofit that started in Ames, Iowa and now has volunteer teams all over the country who are dedicated to raising awareness about the puppy mill industry. So what is the truth? What is the public supposed to believe when the nice store owner and employees paint such a believable and beautiful picture? Again… This is why we are here.
Volunteers from Bailing Out Benji devote their free time to researching puppy mills to create puppy mill maps for the worst states, as well as raise awareness about notorious pet stores and breeding operations with huge violations. This includes obtaining CVI data (Certificates of Veterinary Inspections) and making those reports public.
NOTE: Before an animal is transported out of state, a veterinarian must examine the animal for signs of “infectious, contagious or communicable disease” and, if no disease is found, sign the certificate for approval to transport. Many breeders also sell to dealers, such as Choice Puppies (formerly known as Hunte Corporation) in Missouri, J.A.K.’s Puppies, Inc. in Iowa or Nebraskaland Pets, Inc. in Nebraska, who, in turn, re-sell the animals to pet stores throughout the United States. You will see that some of the breeders below are also dealers and buy puppies from other breeders and re-sell to pet stores.
To make this easier, we will be breaking our article down by each pet store and connecting them to the various puppy mills they use.
Pets World – 1255 Post Road, Warwick, RI 02888
- Troy Wedel, Canterbury Tails Pets. McPherson, Kansas- 304 adult breeding dogs, 148 puppies with a history of violations including: dogs with open lacerations, bent and rusted wires poking into kennels, and dogs with cloudy eyes. To view USDA inspection photos, click here.
- David Brown and Kim Parsons, First Class Puppies. Bluejacket, Oklahoma – 22 adult breeding dogs.
- Shelli Kershner, Walnut Creek Kennels. Rush Center, Kansas- 171 adult dogs with a long history of violations including: failure to provide safe housing for the dogs and dogs with eye injuries. Kershner was named one of the worst puppy mills in the country in 2014 and she also brokers dogs to pet stores across the country.
- Pinegrove Kennels, Herman Yoder. Hershey, Michigan- unable to access records.
- Phil Hoover, Memphis Missouri- 364 adult breeding dogs.
The Perfect Puppy- 1265 Chopmist Hill Rd, Scituate, RI 02857
Second location: 289 Cowesett Ave, West Warwick, RI 02893
- John and Sandy Blake, SanJon Kennel. Louisburg, Missouri- 87 puppies. To view a footage of the owners directly contradicting the statements made by pet stores, click here.
- Josh Garber, Bradford Ohio- 17 adult dogs
- Violet Veitschegger, Stockton, Missouri- 55 adult breeding dogs.
- Andrew Garber, Bradford, Ohio- 9 adult breeding dogs.
- Tiffany Kurz, Tiffanie’s LLC, Frankford MO – Broker with over 229 puppies on their property. Violations include keeping puppies in kennels that are too small.
- Gary Hewitt, Licks are kisses Kennel. Edgemont, Arkansas- 44 adult breeding dogs with a history of violations including; dogs limping, not examined by vet.
- Sonja Daley, Chillicothe Missouri- unable to access records
- Bob Mackey, TLC Breeds. Sayre ,Oklahoma- 209 adult breeding dogs with a history of violations including: rodent droppings, urine accumulating on the floor , and dog food bags chewed up by rodents.
- Tina Trammell, Triple T Kennels. Hasty, Arkansas- 34 adult breeding dogs with a history of violations including having chewed and worn surfaces in the kennels that can’t be cleaned.
- Judy Maassen, J. Maassen Inc. Rock Valley, Iowa- 309 adult breeding dogs and 139 puppies at the time of last inspection, with a history of violations including: admitting to shooting dogs as a routine form of euthanasia, swelling between toes from standing on hard wire cages, rusted wire and excessively chewed enclosures. This breeder has been on the horrible hundred puppy mill list.
- Steve, Marvin D and Naomi Lengacher, Montgomery Indiana- 38 adult breeding dogs.
- Wayne Miller, Woffer Kennels. Middlebury, Indiana- 85 adult breeding dogs with a history of violations including: dogs with severe dental disease.
- Audrey Rottinghaus, Wendy Pets. Seneca, Kansas- 64 adult breeding dogs with a history of violations including: dogs with open untreated wounds, dogs with severe dental disease and food receptacles are jagged and full of brown grime. To view USDA photos (beware, they are graphic) click here. This breeder has also been named as one of the worst puppy mills in the entire country.
- Joy and Jay Yoder. Oswego, Kansas- unable to access records.
- Polly and Samuel Borntrager, Borntrager Kennels. Clark, Missouri- 74 adult breeding dogs with a history of violations including injured dogs that hadn’t been seen by a vet, with no plans to be seen.
- Kallie and Josh Bateman, “Bateman Diversified”, Puppy Travelers Transport. Neosho, Missouri- This company transports puppies to Florida under many different names and they were recently named one of the worst puppy mills in the country due to their transport practices. In February 2018, 24 puppies were seized from a Puppy Travelers transport van outside a Petland store in Fort Myers, Florida. The puppies were found with “urine, feces and no water” in their cages, according to news sources, and many of them were sick. To view the entire report, click here.
- Levi Graber, Blue Ribbon Odon Indiana- 70 puppies
- Valente Rios, Rios Kennel. Galt, Missouri- 189 adult breeding dogs, with a history of violations including: excessively thin dogs (could see hips and ribs, dogs so matted they are unable to poop, dogs with feces stuck in fur, dogs with injuries, sharp points on dog food bowls, kennels unsafe and many, many more. To view USDA photos of this kennel (beware, these are hard to see) click here. Rios was also listed as one of the worst puppy mills in the entire country in 2013.
- Scott and Ashley Harper, Lazy H Farms. Caulfield, Missouri- 135 adult breeding dogs
- Amy Lynne Henry, Marshall Arkansas- unable to access records
- Kesha Ledford, Galena Missouri- unable to access records
- Dennis and Judy Walles, Ox Arks Kennels. Galena, Missouri- 183 adult breeding dogs and 129 puppies.
- Herman (Tony) Schindler, QD Kennels, Frankford Missouri- 133 puppies.
- Deborah Hubbard, Sparta Missouri- 22 puppies, with violations including: kennels are too small for number of puppies in them, dogs without health certificates, dogs without any identification.
- Lorilee Thomas, Puppies Extraordinaire. Whiting, Kansas- 642 adult breeding dogs and 288 puppies with a history of violations including: dogs with hair loss, wires poking into kennels, excessively long toe nails, evidence of mice, etc. To view USDA inspection photos from this kennel, click here.
- Deborah Warren, Misty Dew Kennels. Pierce City, Missouri- 144 adult breeding dogs with a history of violations including: dogs with severe accumulation of dental disease and excessively long toenails. To view USDA inspection photos click here. This breeder was also named one of the worst puppy mills in the nation.
- Tammy Lansdown, Lansdown Kennels, Seymour Missouri- 159 adult breeding dogs
- Leann Terrill, Seymour Missouri- unable to access records.
- Ruth Ann and Gary Goostree, Rafter G Kennel. Rocky Comfort, Missouri- 44 adult breeding dogs with a history of violations including: Dogs with severely matted hair, eye disease, and dental disease, dogs with skin disease, dogs with mammary mass/infection, licensee could not “handle the dog”, ventilation turned off resulting in high ammonia levels in shelter; holes in enclosures with sharp edges; none of the dogs mentioned had been seen by a vet. This breeder was also named one of the worst puppy mills in the country.
- Shonda and Heath Madison, Cassville Missouri- 93 adult breeding dogs. To view USDA inspection photos, click here.
- Robert and Esther Pointer, Shoal Creek Kennels DBA Shoal Creek Puppies. Exeter, Missouri- 96 adult breeding dogs with a history of violations including: Flies all over the nursing mother dogs and puppies, excessive feces in the kennels.
- Ann Howell, Verona Missouri- unable to access records.
- Darlene Whitman,O My Heart Kennel. Mountain Grove Missouri- 112 adult breeding dogs with a history of violations including: evidence of dogs getting powerwashed, use of expired medications, cold kennels. To view USDA inspection photos, click here.
- Tammi Mccutchen, Harrison Arkansas- unable to access records
For more ways you can help the dogs trapped in puppy mills,click here.
For more information, please visit our main page Bailing Out Benji .
©Bailing Out Benji 2019
** To those consumers that have bought a family member from any of the area puppy stores, and are wondering about their actual background -please feel free to fill out the form below with any questions or paperwork that you have and we will confidentially research the breeder your pup came from.