“We don’t buy from puppy mills.”
“All of our puppies come from small, local breeders.”
“We visit every breeder we buy from.”
We have all heard these sentences come from the mouths of pet store owners and their employees. They paint this beautiful picture of puppies running by a pond and parents frolicking in the fresh, green grass… Sadly, 99% of the time that is false. The pet store owners know it, the employees might know it- but the customer is completely in the dark.
This is why we are here.
Bailing Out Benji is a small nonprofit that started in Ames, Iowa and now has volunteer teams all over the country who are dedicated to raising awareness about the puppy mill industry.
Volunteers from Bailing Out Benji devote their free time to researching puppy mills to create puppy mill maps for the worst states, as well as raise awareness about notorious pet stores and breeding operations with huge violations. This includes obtaining CVI data (Certificates of Veterinary Inspections) and making those reports public. To learn more about the puppy mills in your location, you can also go to our interactive website and search engine.
-Before an animal is transported out of state, a veterinarian, accredited by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), must examine the animal for signs of “infectious, contagious or communicable disease” and, if no disease is found, sign the certificate for approval to transport.
To make this easier, we will be breaking our research down alphabetically by each pet store and connecting them to the various facilities they use. All of this information has come from the Department of Agriculture and the USDA. All of the breeders listed as associated with the pet stores sold puppies or kittens to them in the years 2021, 2020 and 2019.
This research can be extremely costly, please consider making a donation to help us continue exposing the puppy mill industry. Every dollar helps us!
The Perfect Puppy- 1265 Chopmist Hill Rd, Scituate, RI 02857
289 Cowesett Ave, West Warwick, RI 02893
This store also has a location in Massachusetts.
- Daniel Gingerich, Maple Hill Puppies. Seymour, Iowa- 1000+ dogs. Gingerich has become known as the worst puppy mill in history. With more than 190 USDA violations in 2021 alone, Gingerich was investigated by the US Department of Justice and shut down due to his crimes against the animals. To learn more about this facility, click here.
- David Stoltzfus, Williams Run Kennel. Christiana, Pennsylvania- 86 adult breeding dogs and 77 puppies.
- Duane E Nolt. Lancaster, Pennsylvania- appears to be an unlicensed breeder.
- Raymond Stoltzfus, Creek View Kennel. Christiana, Pennsylvania- 40 adult breeding dogs.
- Loren Nolt, Evergreen Kennel. East Earl, Pennsylvania- 182 adult breeding dogs and 72 puppies. This facility was named one of the worst puppy mills in the country.
Puppy Stores below this have closed:
Pets World – 1255 Post Road, Warwick, RI 02888
For more ways you can help the dogs trapped in puppy mills, click here.
We also have educational materials that you can print to hang up in your own area.
©Bailing Out Benji 2021
All research and information was done by the volunteer team at Bailing Out Benji and must be cited as such when shared or quoted!
To view the rest of our CVI data, click here.
To those consumers that have bought a family member from any of the area puppy stores, and are wondering about their actual background -please feel free to fill out the form below with any questions or paperwork that you have and we will confidentially research the breeder your pup came from.