“We don’t buy from puppy mills.”
“All of our puppies come from small, local breeders.”
“We visit every breeder we buy from.”
We have all heard these sentences come from the mouths of pet store owners and their employees. They paint this beautiful picture of puppies running by a pond and parents frolicking in the fresh, green grass… Sadly, 99% of the time that is false. The pet store owners know it, the employees might know it- but the customer is completely in the dark.
This is why we are here.
Bailing Out Benji is a small nonprofit that started in Ames, Iowa and now has volunteer teams all over the country who are dedicated to raising awareness about the puppy mill industry.
Volunteers from Bailing Out Benji devote their free time to researching puppy mills to create puppy mill maps for the worst states, as well as raise awareness about notorious pet stores and breeding operations with huge violations. This includes obtaining CVI data (Certificates of Veterinary Inspections) and making those reports public. To learn more about the puppy mills in your location, you can also go to our interactive website and search engine.
-Before an animal is transported out of state, a veterinarian, accredited by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), must examine the animal for signs of “infectious, contagious or communicable disease” and, if no disease is found, sign the certificate for approval to transport.
To make this easier, we will be breaking our research down alphabetically by each pet store and connecting them to the various facilities they use. All of this information has come from the Department of Agriculture and the USDA. All of the breeders listed as associated with the pet stores sold puppies or kittens to them in the years 2021, 2020 and 2019.
This research can be extremely costly, please consider making a donation to help us continue exposing the puppy mill industry. Every dollar helps us!
Laurel Pet Emporium- 9537 Bridgeville Center Rd, Bridgeville, DE 19933
- Cheryl Gray, Cedar Creek Yorkies. Havana, Arkansas- 140 adult breeding dogs and 87 puppies. Gray also has 34 adult breeding cats and 40 kittens.
- James Whatley and Alberta Whatley, Hush Puppies AKA Candy Coated Doxies. Mooresville, Missouri- 49 adult breeding dogs and 13 puppies.
- Glen Diener, Legendary Puppies. Humboldt, Illinois- this is an unlicensed breeder that sells puppies to pet stores across the country.
- Joseph Knepp, Lovable Gold Star Puppies. Odon, Indiana- is a USDA broker.
- Ray Rothman and Alysia Rothman, Market Smart AKA Primo Puppies, JPC Transport, Pet Connect Rescue, RDR Unlimited. Neosho, Missouri- The Rothman family has deep roots in the commercial dog breeding world. They owned a pet store in Connecticut, they’ve worked for several puppy mill brokers and they have been involved in numerous lawsuits over their sham rescue and their role in the nationwide puppy-laundering scheme.
- Matt Schlabach. Arcola, Illinois- is an unlicensed breeder.
- Milton Lewis, Rock Hill Dog Ranch. Newport, Nebraska- 223 adult breeding dogs and 136 puppies. This facility was named one of the worst puppy mills in the nation in 2018 due to their severe violations.
- Phil Hoover, Show Me Puppies . Memphis, Missouri- 370 adult breeding dogs and 131 puppies.
- Raymond Miller and Kathy Miller. Kokomo, Indiana- 42 adult breeding dogs and 40 puppies.
- Rebecca Eiler, Creekside Kennel. Oberlin, Kansas- 356 adult breeding dogs and 195 puppies on the premises. Eiler was named one of the worst puppy mills in the country because of recent state violations including: had a trough of dog feces spilling above ground; housing in disrepair; and dirty conditions at state inspections.
- Brian Mohrfield, Select Puppies AKA Lucky Puppies Co. West Point, Iowa- 441 puppies. Mohrfield also owns Choice Puppies (another broker) out of Goodman, Missouri.
- Verlin Miller. Goshen, Indiana- 48 adult breeding dogs and 26 puppies.
For more ways you can help the dogs trapped in puppy mills, click here.
We also have educational materials that you can print to hang up in your own area.
©Bailing Out Benji 2021
All research and information was done by the volunteer team at Bailing Out Benji and must be cited as such when shared or quoted!
To view the rest of our CVI data, click here.
To those consumers that have bought a family member from any of the area puppy stores, and are wondering about their actual background -please feel free to fill out the form below with any questions or paperwork that you have and we will confidentially research the breeder your pup came from.