“We don’t buy from puppy mills.”
“All of our puppies come from small, local breeders.”
“We visit every breeder we buy from.”
We have all heard these sentences come from the mouths of pet store owners and their employees. They paint this beautiful picture of puppies running by a pond and parents frolicking in the fresh, green grass… Sadly, 99% of the time that is false. The pet store owners know it, the employees might know it- but the customer is completely in the dark.
This is why we are here.
Bailing Out Benji is a small nonprofit that started in Iowa and now has volunteer teams all over the country who are dedicated to raising awareness about the puppy mill industry.
Volunteers from Bailing Out Benji devote their free time to researching puppy mills to create puppy mill maps for the worst states, as well as raise awareness about notorious pet stores and breeding operations with huge violations. This includes obtaining CVI data (Certificates of Veterinary Inspections) and making those reports public. To learn more about the puppy mills in your location, you can also go to our interactive website and search engine.
-Before an animal is transported out of state, a veterinarian, accredited by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), must examine the animal for signs of “infectious, contagious or communicable disease” and, if no disease is found, sign the certificate for approval to transport.
This information was obtained by the Arkansas Department of Agriculture. We are currently waiting on additional FOIA requests to help make our research more complete.
All of the breeders listed as associated with the pet stores sold puppies or kittens to them in the years 2021 and 2020.
These records requests cost money to obtain. If you would like to support our research, you can make a one time donation or to sign up to be a sustaining supporter to allow us to continue our various programs that expose the puppy mill industry, click the donate button below.
Petland Rogers- 2203 S Promenade Blvd #5165, Rogers, AR 72758
- Abby Anderson, Ken Anderson, Ty Anderson and Sydney Anderson. Arrow Valley LLC FKA Sugar Fork Kennels. Goodman, Missouri- 157 adult breeding dogs and 163 puppies. Under their old license number and previous name, Arrow Valley/ Sugar Fork had a direct violation due to an inspector finding an extremely thin adult breeding dog with very prominent hips and spine, as well as white gums. The dog had not been seen by a veterinarian. In order to hide this violation, they changed license numbers and names.
- Ashley Dodson. Pierce City, Missouri- does not appear to be licensed by the USDA or state of Missouri.
- Bill Harvill, Bill Harvill Kennel. Stark City, Missouri- 39 adult breeding dogs.
- Darin Miller, David Miller and Kay Miller, Miller Kennel. Oronogo, Missouri- 268 adult breeding dogs and 131 puppies. This facility was named one of the worst puppy mills in the country in 2021.
- John Settle, Manchesters LLC. Joplin, Missouri- 23 adult breeding dogs and 12 puppies.
- Lindsey Schwartz AKA Lindsey Forquer, Cammies Country Canines. Salem, Iowa- 71 adult breeding dogs and 50 puppies.
- Mark Steffensmeier and Gina Steffensmeier, MG Cattle Inc. Salem, Iowa- Puppy Broker with 20 puppies at the time of last inspection.
- Pinnacle Pet AKA Sobrad LLC. Neosho, Missouri- one of the largest puppy brokers in the country with 72 puppies on their premises at the time of last inspection. Pinnacle Pet is their main supplier.
For more ways you can help the dogs trapped in puppy mills, click here.
We also have educational materials that you can print to hang up in your own area.
©Bailing Out Benji 2021
All research and information was done by the volunteer team at Bailing Out Benji and must be cited as such when shared or quoted.
Arkansas is home to numerous pet stores that are selling puppy mill puppies, not just the ones above. If you are wondering where your puppy was born, please contact us through the form below. All requests for information will remain confidential.