©Bailing Out Benji 2017
All research and information was done by the volunteer team at Bailing Out Benji and therefore must be cited as such when shared or quoted.
“We don’t buy from puppy mills.”
“All of our puppies come from small, local breeders.”
“We visit every breeder we buy from.”
We have all heard these sentences come from the mouths of pet store owners and their employees. They paint this beautiful picture of puppies running by a pond and parents frolicking in the fresh, green grass… Sadly, 99% of the time that is a bold faced lie. The pet store owners know it, the employees might know it- but the customer is completely in the dark.
This is why we are here.
Bailing Out Benji is a small nonprofit that started in Ames, Iowa and now has volunteer teams all over the country, including Pennsylvania. These group are committed to raising awareness about the puppy mill issue, particularly the connection to pet stores.
So what is the truth? What is the public supposed to believe when the nice store owner and employees paint such a believable and beautiful picture? Again… This is why we are here.
Volunteers from Bailing Out Benji devote their free time to researching puppy mills to create puppy mill maps for the worst states, as well as raise awareness about notorious pet stores and breeding operations with huge violations. This includes obtaining CVI data (Certificates of Veterinary Inspections) and making those reports public.
- Before an animal is transported out of state, a veterinarian, accredited by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), must examine the animal for signs of “infectious, contagious or communicable disease” and, if no disease is found, sign the certificate for approval to transport.
- Many breeders also sell to dealers, such as Choice Puppies (formerly known as Hunte Corporation) in Missouri, J.A.K.’s Puppies, Inc. in Iowa or Nebraskaland Pets, Inc. in Nebraska, who, in turn, re-sell the animals to pet stores throughout the United States. You will see that some of the breeders below are also dealers and buy puppies from other breeders and re-sell to pet stores.
To make this easier, we will be breaking our article down by each pet store and connecting them to the various puppy mills they use. We will attach the CVI data as we have obtained it from the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture and we will make note of dog counts and any known violations from the breeders themselves. Sadly, since the USDA took down their public inspection reports, we are unable to attach screenshots of those as well. ALL OF THESE CVI REPORTS ARE FROM 2016 and 2017 and we have copies of them on hand. Below, you are seeing screenshots of the reports. For any questions regarding the information presented below, please visit us on facebook.
Petland Robinson- 1530 Park Manor Blvd, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.
According to the CVI reports that we have obtained from the PEnnsylvania Department of Agriculture, these are the breeders that Petland Robinson has purchased from in 2016 and 2017.
- Pinnacle Pet, Neosho Missouri – 353 puppies.
- Hunte Corporation, Choice Puppies- The Hunte Corporation, Choice Puppies, Goodman Missouri- 39 puppies. To view an undercover expose on one of the largest puppy brokers in the country, click here.
- JAKS Puppies, Britt Iowa – 97 puppies
- Calvin and Teresa Good, Memphis Missouri- 112 adult puppies, 69 puppies!
- Curt and Lori Conrad, Conrad’s Cuddly Canines, LLC. Frankford Missouri- 94 puppies.
- Dustin Westercamp Farmington Iowa – 79 adult breeding dogs.
We will be adding more Pennsylvania pet stores soon, as we finish combing through the CVI’s.
There you have it. Some of the most popular pet stores in Massachusetts and proof from the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, in partnership with Pittsburgh Puppy Mill Awareness, connecting them to some of the most notorious puppy mills in the United States.
If there is a pet store selling puppies near you RUN- don’t walk away! Our favorite thing to say is “Puppies in the Store, Walk out the Door” because pet store puppies ARE puppy mill puppies. Don’t buy the lies. No matter what the pet store tries to sell you.
For more ways you can help the dogs trapped in puppy mills, click here.
You can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
©Bailing Out Benji 2017
All research and information was done by the volunteer team at Bailing Out Benji and must be cited as such when shared or quoted.